Greetings Careering Ahead followers!!
It has been a while since my last post; apologies to my large (not!) fan base of followers eagerly awaiting with anticipation for what I might write about next. What is better than being able to write about the British Museum and my time at the Numismatics (study of coins) Summer School. I discovered the summer school in a large amount of emails that I receive about various events, courses and other bits of information that often gets deleted; so I applied.
The application process was straight forward, send a CV, covering letter and reference and I discovered that being passionate and knowledgable raised my application above most people. I won’t bore you with what to put on a CV and covering letter as it’s been well covered by previous blogs and follow bloggers, however I will tell you all about what I am getting from the experience:
- Having the British Museum on my CV is going to look fabulous for my career and will put me ahead of many rival candidates for a museum type role. TAKE THESE OPPORTUNITES WHEN THEY COME ALONG!!!!
- I am learning more on an intensive 2 week course then I have throughout many single modules at University making me more knowledgable about coins.
- It gives me another possible area that I can specialize in, giving my career direction more focus.
- I am creating a network of friends, people I know in the British Museum and wider academic world.
- I am out of the comfort zone of being in Newcastle to being in a city like London and that has only had a positive effect making me more willing to take up opportunities throughout the country.
- Learning how to create an exhibition that the public will want to stop and look at; we actually get to create our own display!! that the public will see!!! so if you’re at the British Museum look out for the Roman Coin section that deals with the use of images on coins as statements or propaganda.
- Great food; the British Museum have the best staff canteen EVER!!
I could of course bore you with lots of information about coins; but I shall resist!! instead I shall say that if these opportunities come up take them, apply and the worst that can happen is they say no. GO FOR IT!!! and be PASSIONATE about what you would like to do.
My work at Beamish Museum is also going well; currently doing a FREE NVQ in Customer Service. Companies will often give their employees the chance to gain qualifications and if they are free; take them! why not!!
Live Long and Prosper Blog readers